Wednesday, October 28, 2015

New widgets for the dashboard

Version 7 introduced new widgets to the main dashboard; some are incredibly useful (tire pressure monitoring) and others are rather useless (analog clock).  Regardless of my perceived utility, it is nice having more widget options.  This is not because I think more is better -- I absolutely do not -- but having options and configurability is part of the Tesla magic.  On that note, I've decided to mock up a few more widgets that I would like to see added.

Compass with Elevation

One major missing widget is a compass widget. This suggestion came from my mom who missed the compass embedded in the mirror of her Lexus. Yes, there is the little compass at the corner of the map on the main infotainment screen, but it is both rather small and hard to read; having it on the dash would be nice, principally as a curiosity thing.  Hey, it's no worse than an analog clock!

As I was thinking about a compass widget, I realized that it would be really cool to combine the compass with elevation.  This data could be easily obtained using a digital elevation map downloaded over the cellular network, at least for wherever a Tesla is likely to venture.

My quick mockup for a concept compass widget with elevation.  Yes, I know I didn't fake the perspective of the photo; it's a quick concept sketch.

Highway Message Board

I may be way off base here, but I think it would be quite nice to have a widget that displays the contents of the highway dynamic message boards since these messages are sometimes difficult to catch while dealing with traffic. Once you pass one, you occasionally wonder what kind of potentially pertinent information you just missed. I'm not sure about the logistics or availability of the data, but it doesn't seem too hard.

Nimitz Freeway near the port and bridge, Oakland, October 15, 2005. CC BY-NC-ND Michael Patrick
Example dashboard widget displaying location aware, highway messages

No comments:

Post a Comment