Sunday, October 25, 2015

Add a geo-fenced menu for charging

Sunday is almost always errand and grocery day around here, which means access to free L2 changing.  With the Tesla's range, do I really need free L2 changing?  No.  But will I take it and the EV-only parking spot? Yes.

For those who are about to claim that I'm taking a spot from a Leaf or someone else with a much smaller battery, no, I'm not.  Here in Houston the chargers practically have tumbleweeds crossing them -- if we had tumbleweeds here to blow across them.  I figure that I'm actually encouraging more spots by frequenting the places which do have them and by showing them that the chargers are appreciated, but that's for another post and discussion...

One issue with using non-Tesla chargers (and even with using my home charger many times) is that you have to either go to Controls > Open Charge port or Lightening Bolt (charge short cut) > Open Charge Port to open the charge port before you can insert the charger.  This isn't difficult, mind you, but it doesn't feel magical either.  Since I generally charge at the same spots, it would be nice to have the Lightening Bolt (charge short cut) behave like the Homelink shortcut: when I get close to a charging location I've used before and put the car in park, then a shortcut should appear so that I can just tap "Open Charge Port" and continue on my way.  Simple.  Small magic moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment