Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Add weather data

My last post was weather related, so I think I'll extend that topic at least a little bit longer by suggesting that the main map screen should have an option for weather overlays such as radar and watches / warnings

Yes, I almost always have my cell on me, so I could look up the data using any number of apps (Storm by Weather Underground is my favorite for radar), but using the cell is either extra work or a dangerous distraction depending on the circumstances.  I suspect that is exactly the reason Toyota included weather radar in their Entune system, although I find their interface and graphics rather clunky.  On the 17” display it could be much more useful and elegant.

One may ask if weather data is truly necessary in a car mapping application. I’d typically answer “no”, but for long distance travel, I could see it being rather useful to plan one's route or day. 

A pedestrian usage of the weather data would simply be knowing how long a storm might last or whether or not it’s worthwhile stopping at a particular supercharger.

If weather data were included in map routing or charger selection, this could be a impressive capability for making travel much easier and safer.  Commercial flights detour around thunderstorms for a reason -- safety and comfort -- and there is no reason why that same logic cannot or should not be extended to ground travel as well.  This is especially true of some of the intense downpours that occur here in Texas.

Another bonus would be choosing which route and superchargers to utilize.  As the supercharger network densifies, this should become more viable.  For example, on the SF to LA route, one will soon have very viable options to either utilize 101 or I-5.  Part of the preference for choosing one path over the other may involve weather predictions and whether or not the superchargers are covered.

For example, one of the supercharger's I utilize most, Columbus TX, is uncovered and receives about 44in of rain a year -- more than Seattle! If it were raining and I had sufficient battery remaining, I might consider running straight home rather than picking up a little more cushion.  In CA, I might have the option of skipping an uncovered supercharger in favor of a covered one.

No comments:

Post a Comment